This article may contain affiliate links. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you’re tired of carrying your large and heavy bike or frustrated with limited storage space, a folding bike can be a significant investment. For those who need a bike that collapses with seconds, it would be perfect. To help you to choose, we made a list of the best affordable folding bikes.
A folding bicycle is a bicycle designed to fold into a compact form, making transportation and storage easier. The bikes can be easily transported when folded on public transportation or stored more easily in tight living quarters or onboard a car, boat, or plane.
There are also different types of folding bikes, some off-road, and others are ideal for transportation or necessary travel. Potentially, off-road bikes would have more suspension and more strong tires, while road tires would be available to commuters and built to be more lightweight and simple.
If you want to combine a road ride with a train journey, a folding bike might be the best solution.
Cycling to work is becoming an increasingly popular way of getting some exercise and saving your travel time and money. For some, it is practical to drive from door to door with a bike.
Folding bikes provide a way to bridge these possibilities and still leave your car at home. Without the weight of a regular bike, folding bikes can easily share your seat on the bus or train and get tucked away when not in use in your home or office, but they are much quicker and more fun than walking the first and last mile of your journey.
These bikes are also great for the environment. That argument applies to all bikes, not just folding bikes. If you switch out a car on your bike journey, the carbon footprint will be massively reduced. Also, you save yourself the upfront cost of a vehicle (or monthly financing costs), any money you would pay for gas monthly, and maintenance costs.
Security is another great benefit of folding bikes. Whatever bike chains you buy, by chaining it on the street, you will always risk theft. It’s easy to bring a folding bike to work and keep it right under your seat. It applies to restaurants, cafes, or anywhere else to which you would like to ride your bike.
All bikes in this list are under $400.
Best Budget Folding Bikes You Can Buy in 2021
1. EuroMini ZiZZO
Best Budget Folding Bike
The EuroMini bike is the best way to take your cycling to the next level. It is the best budget folding bike that is perfect for cycling for hours every day.
This bicycle is lightweight and built to make cycling much more comfortable and more fun than ever before. What makes it a good choice is its design and specifications.
You may know all the advantages of riding a bike, but the ride becomes more enjoyable when you have the best bike.
The bike is suitable for different sizes for many individuals, so you can share it with other family members who may be lower or higher than you. The overall design is why most people love it.
It is a bike designed to fit different people, resist all weather conditions, and work well on different terrains. Therefore, if you are looking for an outstanding foldable bike but don’t feel like charging an awful amount of money, you can give it a try. This is one of the best budget folding bikes for $300.
Ideal for commuting and cruising
Doesn’t come ready to use
Suitable for most terrain
Features an adjustable stem
Suitable for all weather conditions
2. IDS Home unYOUsual
unYOUsual Folding City Bicycle is one of those items that you can certainly add to your collection. Its tires are very durable and robust, and they will last a long time. Besides that, the innovative saddle lined with vinyl will also give great comfort to the rider
The most important feature this bike provides is its ability to fold. You can fold it easily into a small unit, so you don’t have to think about where to place it.
See Also: Best Gravel Bikes Under $1500
In addition to all these innovative features, the product also comes with a stainless steel frame that is not too heavy.
Thanks to the reflectors included in the vehicle, your protection will be improved so that you can easily spot it on the highway at times of poor visibility.
Because the bike is perfectly foldable, the unYOUsual U Arc Folding City Bike has gained enormous popularity.
Easy assembly and folds
Doesn’t come ready to use
Lightweight steel frame
Vinyl cover MTB comfort saddle
Quickly removable front handle stem
3. Outroad Mountain Bike
This is a 21-speed folding mountain designed to be used by people who are looking for a folding bike designed to provide years of reliable performance. This bike has an advanced braking system. In order to guarantee security, this system allows it to stop quickly and consistently.
The bike features double steel wall rims and 26′′ diamond wheels to ensure outstanding cruising performance across several terrains.
It also includes a high-tensile steel folding frame and disc brakes that take a lot of time to wear. The bike was built for users weighing up to 200lbs and those with a height from 5’3′’ to 6’0′′.
Front, Rear Brakes, Quick Releases
4. Schwinn Loop
This Schwinn bike stands out for its saving space, making it easy to fit almost every trunk of any vehicle. Even though folding and storing are simple, the bike is easy to ride as well.
If you use it for cycling around town or for going to work, you will particularly appreciate the smooth tires. 20-inch star alloy wheels give the bike an elegant feel. The solid fork and the low standing frame makes it easy to get on and off this bike.
You can comfortably get up hills by a seven-speed drivetrain. This bike is fitted with a nylon pack.
Compared to other newer folding bikes, this bike is very clunky and bulky, but at this price, it is acceptable. The weight includes a fender and a rear rack, which is about 33 lbs.
When you need to carry the bike, make those brackets to protect the wheels and handle the box because the Dahon bikes do not include the locking mechanism. Moreover, it is often difficult to shut or open the body hinge and handling the hinge.
Great build quality
A carrying case is included
5. Vilano Urbana Speed Folding Bike
The single-speed Vilano Urban is as light as possible. There is no cable to worry about with coaster breaks, and it just has a super lightweight of 21.5 lbs. The frame of the bike is made of aluminum. That is why the bike is lightweight. There’s no question that this kind of folding bike will be an excellent option for someone who is looking to purchase a large urban commuter.
One of Vilano Urbana’s great advantages is that the bike is small in size. Moreover, if you fold your bicycle, you will decrease the size considerably. Would you need to store or transport your bike? Be informed that the Single Speed Folding Bike in Vilano Urbana folds / unfolds quickly and easily. The outline of the bicycle folded is 12″ x 32″ x 25″.
You must realize that the Vilano Urbana bike has only one speed. This means it is not very powerful. So, just riding the bike on flat roads would be good for you. You won’t find it tough to carry your bicycle, on the other hand. Currently, it needs no maintenance for the Vilano Urbana single-speed folding bike.
Vilano Urbana is considered to be a comfortable folding bike. No doubt the bike features such as the rack/water bottle mounts and other things make a great contribution to the safety of the passengers.
Coaster brakes can reduce control
Requires less maintenance
Cheapest Folding Bike
This bike is significantly bigger than the other folding bikes on this list, which is due to being a folding mountain bike. Stowabike made a compact mountain bike with 26 “Wanda tires and 18 speeds–3 left-hand shifters and 6 right-hand shifters.
With a 26′′ cast steel folding frame and a 26′′ suspension steel fork, the Stowabike also offers dual suspension, which is a must featuring mountain bikes. The MTB V2 uses v-brakes, as most mountain bikes do, ensuring you’re going to get a lot of stopping power.
Stowabike is definitely on the rise, becoming more and more common for a good reason. The bike has managed to switch between all 18 gears smoothly, and although the suspension is not as strong as a fully-fledged mountain bike, it works well off-road.
This is one of the cheapest folding bikes in 2021.
Great quality folding mountain bike
Needs many adjustments
Many cheap components
See More: Best Budget Electric Skateboards
You must think about this size because of the public transit authority’s regulations where you are. For example, some bus and train services have a maximum bike size, which can be taken into the vehicle. When you pick up a bike, you have to think about this. Otherwise, you’re going to be left with a folding bike that you can’t even take with you on the subway. It would be best if you asked about the authorities’ restrictions in your local area and then consider the folding scale of the bikes that you can use. You can not require the folded dimensions to be as small as possible. The size of the bike also often depends directly on its efficiency.
As a rule, if you wanted to, you could convert any bike into a smaller size. Today, many other techniques and functions, such as clip-on wheels, detachable handles and seat posts. It’s different from a real folding bike. The program used for folding bikes is extremely advanced. It is not easy to split it into small parts and place the parts in a case. You fold the bike from the standard, longer size to a small size, just like you fold a piece of paper. In order to work, various folding bikes use different technologies and mechanisms.
You have to think about the process that is used in it when choosing a folding bike. Speed is the key and can be controlled easily. If the folding takes a long time when you’re in a hurry and need to get on a bus quickly, you’ll start seeing the effect of this. It is unlogical and painful to split parts of the bike in this way. In order to fold up fast, often in less than 20 seconds, the folding bikes use a simple set of locks and hinges.
One of the most important decisions is the size when you pick the best folding bike is size. This does mean not only the frame size, but also the size of the wheel. You will need to compromises in normal bikes to get more lightweight sizes. But you will need to consider the wheel size carefully to ensure that you have a decent fit and a good acceleration for a foldable bike. Remember that if you are not that hard-pressed for space, you can always get a folding bike with bigger wheels. Without sacrificing too much speed, you can still save space.
Advantages of Folding Bikes
1. Easy to Transport
In addition to the great modes of carriage, folding bikes are very easy to transport. You can take a folding bike almost anywhere, travel comfortably on buses and trains, and fit into even the smallest cars. Every day, cycling is a decent option!
It’s normal for commuters living in a city’s suburbs to drive to their nearest train station and take the train into the area, leaving their car all day at the station for them to pick up on their way home. It can be a challenging prospect. You would have to pay for the petrol, parking and probably keep your cycle at risk all day along with a season ticket.
You can cycle to your nearest station with a folding bike and take your bike with you. These costs and the risks are avoided, and every morning and evening you will reap the health benefits of cycling.
2. Easy Storage
A folding bike takes much less space than a conventional bike is an obvious advantage. A traditional bike size can be a problem if you do not have a large house and perhaps a shed or garage. It is too difficult for most people to move up into a flat building and takes up too much space in apartments. Even in the smallest homes, a folding bike can be easily carried and slotted away. Slide it under your bed or keep it in your wardrobe, and never realize that you’ve got a completely functioning bike in your home.
See Also: Best Budget Electric Mountain Bikes
3. Less Attractive to Thieves
You probably did not think so, but these bikes are rarely stolen. It’s not that they have the world’s most sophisticated surveillance system. You are still next to the bike because it is really easy. You have the freedom to look at it wherever you are, as you can fold it up and take it with you wherever you want to go.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Are Folding Bikes as Good as Regular Bikes?
Since most folding bikes have small wheels than a normal bicycle, many peoples are wary about not riding so easily. The major concern is that a small wheel-folding bike can take more effort to pedal. Generally, small wheel folding bikes are fitted with a larger front and gear ring that takes the smaller diameter into account and requires the same pedaling effort. Smaller bikes speed up a bit quicker, but the downside is that they can’t handle larger cliffs and curbs and a bike with a larger wheel diameter. There are full-size folding bikes with 26″ or 700c wheels and the quality of their ride is almost identical to a non-folding bike in the same price range.
As for the build quality, most folding bikes in factories that usually have ISO certification are made to reasonably high standards. The main difference between a folding bike and a regular bike is the ability to fold. Some might think that adding this ability to fold might compromise the bike’s structural rigidity and possibly protection. They are logical but non-founded concerns. Many modern folders are designed to boost all issues, and very few security problems have been reported.
If you are going to use a bike because of its portability and storage factor, the folding bike is significantly better than a normal bike. While you can put a normal bike on your car, many public transport systems don’t allow it. It can be challenging to get it in the elevator and navigate in the corridors, or worse-to fit in your office. Many public transport systems allow folding bikes and move easily in the office environment. Bikes are available for most categories to suit your goals: tours, public transportation, mountain biking, and more.
Are Folding Bike Tires Good?
The folding bike tire is made from a lightweight fiber bead to make transport easier. They are lighter than regular bike tires, which with less effort will help you achieve better speed. The tire tread is softer than normal tires, resulting in increased traction on several riding surfaces.
Do Folding Bikes Break Easily?
It doesn’t matter what model the bike is, it can break apart or crack. They will not break easily if you follow the instructions and take good care of the bike.
Take a look at some of these models:
- ✔This all-terrain mountain bike ideal for trails, gravel paths and even paved streets; hard tail aluminum frame never rusts and is lighter than...
- ✔With Derailleur, EF500 3*7 Shifter, deliver 21 speeds of ultra smooth shifting, with just your index finger and thumb; it’s a complete SHIMANO...
- ✔Larger 26 inch wheels maintain rolling momentum; all-terrain tread provides less rolling resistance than typical mountain bike tires; padded saddle...
- ✔Alloy linear pull brakes; machined alloy wheel rims enable superior brake pad contact for consistent stops on demand; Crayton grips and pedals feel...
- ✔Comes with bike assembly tools; product size: 150x25x(59-70)cm/59x9.8x(23-27.5)in; product folding size:94x88x38cm/37x34x15in[Any other details,...
- [Foldable design]: This bike saves more space. You only need to install the pedals and start using it after receiving the bicycle. The bicycle can be...
- [Good quality]: With 20in high tensile steel folding frame. The steel v-shaped brake allows you to slow down quickly. The 7 speed function gives you...
- [Portable Use:]: You can take your bike wherever you go without the need for those pesky bike racks or risking the dangers of locking it up in public...
- [Light weight]: Designed for leisure and daily commuting, This folding bike has a folded size of 33" x 13" x 24" and weighs 33 lbs. It is quite...
- [Service]: The product is shipped from US, Your order will be delivered in 3-8 Business Days Fast Delivery by UPS / USPS / Fedex. If you have any...
- 18 Speed shifting system more easy to shifting the cycling speed
- 20 inches regular spoke wheels folding bike is easy to carry.
- Dual disc brake and dual suspension folding bike can makes your cycling more comfortable
- Assemble instructions and assemble tools included in the bike box.
- Bike suitable for 5' to 5'4"
- 20 - inch folding bicycle designed for commuting and exercising.
- Shimano 6 speed shifter and derailleur. semi-alloy front and rear V-brake.
- WANDA 20" x 1.75 tires
- Quick removable front handle stem. with alloy silver color cap & PVC black bell.
- Easy assembly and ride
- Provides a stronger, faster, more reliable stopping power than the traditional V-Brake Systems. Disc brakes also do not wear out your tires and last...
- High tensile steel folding frame that could withstand rough mountain trails and folds flat in seconds with no tools required!
- Includes quality name brand products that are known to last, including derailleur and shifters. Also includes alloy double wall rims with 26" Diamond...
- Front & Rear Shock Absorbers that could withstand many tough terrain mountain trails or daily commutes.
- Recommended rider's approximate height 5'3" - 6'0". Weighs 42 lbs (approx.). Max weight up to 220 lbs. Light Assembly/Tools Required. 30-day warranty...
- 【LIGHTWEIGHT】The bicycle is easy to fold to fit the trunk of a car, and is very suitable for commuters and students. The folding function makes it...
- 【MOST SUITABLE SIZE】The comfortable seat can easily adapt to most riders, and the height ranges from 5 feet to 6 feet. Maximum load: 220 pounds....
- 【FOLDING BIKE】 Premium 20-inch x 1.75 road tires, aluminum alloy wheels. V-shaped steel brake.
- 【EASE OF USE】Fold up in 15 seconds! Easy to carry and easy to store in a car, closet or garage.
- 【SHIPPING FROM US】Your bike can be delivered to you quickly. If you are not satisfied with any product, please feel free to contact us. We take...
- 【7-Speed Folding Bike】The shifting handle and rear derailleur allow you to easily change the speed as needed, giving you a new experience during...
- 【Rugged Frame & Foldable Design】With high-strength iron frame, this folding bike has strong load-bearing capacity and can be used for a long time....
- 【Adjustable Handle & Seat Height】 Made of high quality aging resistant rubber and aluminum alloy rims, the tires are non-slip and difficult to...
- 【V-style Brakes】This bicycle is equipped with front and rear V brakes, which make the brakes more efficient and shorten the braking distance when...
- 【Easy Assembly Process】Our folding bicycle is 98% installed, so you can install and use it very quickly, reducing a lot of tedious installation...
Last update on 2021-04-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API